Overview of the Young Building during the 2008 Railroad Hobby Show. | Photo by Jim Spavins.
2008 Railroad Hobby Show
2008 brought some big changes to the Railroad Hobby Show with the addition of a fourth - yes fourth - building to the already huge train show at the Eastern States Exposition. Along with the Better Living Center, Young Building, and Stroh Building, a portion of the Mallary Complex was opened to allow for several new vendors and exhibitors as well as allow some of the current exhibitors to move and expand their operations.
For example, the Dry Hill Terminal - a division of the host Amherst Belt Lines - was able to separate their modules and display their own layout at the show inside the Mallary Complex. This greatly expanded what was an already interesting set of modules - featuring a large modern yard - to an entire stand alone layout.
In addition, the Pepperell Siding Model Railroad Club moved out of the Young Building and was given a larger footprint to expand their modular railroad in the new building. Also, the Torrington Area Model Railroaders were able to bring their N and HO scale modular railroads among others.
The 2009 Railroad Hobby Show will be held on January 24 and 25, 2009.
2008 Show FactsDates: January 26-27, 2008
Hours: Sat. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sun. 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Admission: Adults: $10, Children: Free
Venue: Eastern States Exposition
Buildings: Better Living Center, Young Building, Stroh Building, Mallary Complex
Location: West Springfield, MA
2008 Railroad Hobby Show Media Coverage
- Jan. 24, 2008 - Model Railroad Show Chugs Into The Big E This Weekend [Newspaper] - Hartford Courant- Check out the Article
- Jan. 28, 2008 - Amherst Train Show 2008 [Blog] - PassingLoop.com- Check out the Post
- Jan. 29, 2008 - 2008 Amherst Railway Society – Railroad Hobby Show [Blog] - Mile Post 15- Check out the Post
2008 Railroad Hobby Show Videos
2008 Show Car
Amherst Belt Lines - ABEL C-30
2008 Show Car HighlightsRoadname: Amherst Belt Lines
Car Number: ABEL C-30
Car Type: Modern Caboose
Description: Breaking with the freight car tradition, the 2008 show car was a caboose for the Amherst Belt Lines. It was a modern style caboose in, appropriately, red.
2008 Railroad Hobby Show Grants
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Bay State Model Railroad Museum - Interior Renovations
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum, Inc. - Coach #341 Restoration
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Boothbay Railway Village - Carhouse construction
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Branford Electric Railway Association/Shoreline Trolley Museum - Connecticut Company #865 renovations (1905 Wason Car)
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Central New York Chapter NRHS - Library Relocation Project
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Chester Foundation - Roofwalk restoration on vintage freight cars
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Connecticut Eastern Chapter NRHS, (Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum) - Repair/Restoration of McWilliams Spot Tamper
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Danbury Railway Museum - Turntable repairs/restoration
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Flying Yankee Restoration Group - Restoration of Flying Yankee
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Fostoria Rail Preservation Society - Relocation of T&OC Depot to Fostoria Iron Triangle Rail Park
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Friends of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc. - Antonito Car Barn construction
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Friends of the Keystone Arches, Inc. - Keystone Arch Bridges Trail maps
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley NRHS Chapter - Restoration of B & M #3713
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - New England Electric Railway Historical Society - 1906 Manchester Street Railway Car #38 restoration/repair
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Old Colony & Newport Railway - Door replacement on parlor car#74
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Palmer Public Library - Digital microfilm scanner
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Railroad Museum of New England, Inc. - Restoration of Naugatuck Coach 5046
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Railways to Yesterday/Rockhill Trolley Museum - Johnstown Traction Co. #311 Restoration
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Rochester Chapter, NRHS - Restoration of WA&G X3710 snowplow (nee-B&M #3710)
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad - Restoration of P&R coach #4
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Windsor Locks Preservation Association, Inc. - Preservation & Restoration of Windsor Locks Station
- 2008 - Heritage Grants - Wiscassset, Waterville and Farmington Railway Museum - Restoration Shop construction