The Streets of Bethlehem Module Built by Bill Brown. | Photo by Jim Spavins.
2010 Railroad Hobby Show
The 2010 edition of the Railroad Hobby Show featured a number of firsts. Over in the Mallary Complex, the 1/87 Vehicle Club was displaying its first modular layout called Route 87. The modules feature a continuous HO scale roadway instead of the usual mainline to showcase the club member’s various projects. The scenes ranged from country road to a divided highway to city scenes to big road construction projects.
Another first in 2010 was the start of the Best In Show award for the best layout and module. The inaugural winner was a module built by Bill Brown of the Central New York Modelers. His module, The Streets of Bethlehem, featured a Sellios-style city scene on a six foot module. The module included an incredible level of detail along with numerous lights and animated mini-scenes.
The 2011 Railroad Hobby Show will be held on January 29 and 30, 2011.
- 2010 Best in Show Module – Central New York Modelers
2010 Show FactsDates: January 30-31, 2010
Hours: Sat. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sun. 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Admission: Adults: $10, Children: Free
Venue: Eastern States Exposition
Buildings: Better Living Center, Young Building, Stroh Building, Mallary Complex
Location: West Springfield, MA
2010 Railroad Hobby Show Media Coverage
- Jan. 28, 2010 - Railroad Reveries: Two-Day Model Train Show, With 7.5 Acres Of Layouts, Will Draw Thousands To Big E This Weekend [Newspaper] - Hartford Courant- Check out the Article
- Jan. 28, 2010 - The 2010 Big-E show at Springfield, Massachusetts [Magazine] - Model Railroad Hobbyist- Check out the Video
2010 Railroad Hobby Show Videos
2010 Show Car
Amherst Belt Lines - RTTX 975584
2010 Show Car HighlightsRoadname: Amherst Belt Lines
Car Number: RTTX 975584
Car Type: 89' Flat Car
Description: The 2010 show car was an Accurail 89' flat car which included two ABEL trailers.
2010 Railroad Hobby Show Grants
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Alco Historical & Technical Society - Preparing and transporting rare Alco C636 demonstrator locomotive to Schenectady NY
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum, Inc. - Remove and replace wheel sets on Also S-1 #0954
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Boothbay Railway Village - Restoration of S. D. Warren Locomotive No. 2
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Boston Street Railway Association, Inc. - Ongoing restoration of Boston Type 5 trolley 5706. (2nd Vestibule, flip over seats.
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Branford Electric Railway Association/Shoreline Trolley Museum - Car 865 interior and motors
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Brooks Preservation Society - Brooks Railroad Station Preservation
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Bucksgahuda and Western RR Company - Secure and restore a Penn RR Signal
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Central Vermont Railway Historical Society - Clean mend and preserve 1883 era maps of the New London Northern Railroad.
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Chester Foundation - Install custom made Plexiglas panels to protect station windows.
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Connecticut Antique Machinery Association, Inc. - Build 3ft gauge handcar from original hardware
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Connecticut Electric Railway Association - Visitor Center train shed track
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Danbury Railway Museum - Repairs to NH RDC #32
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Friends of Bedford Depot Park, Inc. - Railroad Image Display System
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Friends of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc. - Rotary Plow Interpretive Program
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Friends of the East Broad Top, Inc. - Rattan upholstery cloth for Combination Baggage passenger cars.
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Friends of the Keystone Arches, Inc. - Kiosk for the Chester and Becket Trail.
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Co. & Museum - Labor to replace rigid and flexible staybolts on B&SR steam loco #7
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - NRHS - Central New York Chapter NRHS - Replace Martisco Station Asphalt Platform
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - NRHS - Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley Chapter - B&M #3713 Restoration
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - NRHS - Rochester Chapter - Replace main and equalizing air brake reservoirs on GE 110 #8
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - New England Electric Railway Historical Society/Seashore Trolley Museum - Interior restoration ARV wooden combine No. 70
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - New York Central System Historical Society - Move of Archives
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Old Colony & Fall River Railroad Museum - Raise Yard office 6", replace joists, subfloor and floor
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Old Colony & Newport Railway - Repairs to sills on 1884 Parlor car
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Railroad Museum of New England, Inc. - Continuing Restoration Coach 5805
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Railway Restoration Project 113 - Renew all worn or broken steam manifold valves
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Railways to Yesterday, Inc./Rockhill Trolley Museum - Overhaul and rehab of trucks and motors for Johnstown 311
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum - Overhaul of one GE-80 Traction Motor
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Windham Rail Trail Alliance - Windham Depot Building Renovation
- 2010 - Heritage Grants - Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railway Museum - Volunteer Rest Quarters