One of the 20+ new modules constructed by the Mohegan Pequot Model Railroad Club, the 2'x4' Tribute to Springfield module on display at the 2015 Railroad Hobby Show. | Photo by Jim Spavins.
2015 Railroad Hobby Show
On the 20th anniversary of one of the largest snow storms to interrupt a Railroad Hobby Show, 8" of snow fell on Saturday to keep the crowds down. The show still opened on time and many of the vendors and exhibitors arrived early but the show had a quiet first day. The snow stopped just before the show closed for the day making it somewhat easy to head back to hotels for the evening. On Sunday, the crowds were heavier than usual and made up for some of the attendance lost on Saturday. Considering how bad the weather was, over 14,000 people still braved the conditions to come out and see the show.
Those who ventured out to the show were treated to over 450+ vendors and exhibitors spread across four buildings. There were some new additions to the show this year. One of the new layouts was a T-trak layout which was assembled from various T-trak groups around the Northeast. The T-trak concept is relatively new, (started about 2001) and features N scale on very small modules which are placed on standard folding tables. This makes the modules very easy to build and transport. The group had a nice display inside the Young Building.
Also inside the Young Building, the Mohegan Pequot Model Railroad Club’s HO layout is under going massive renovations. After winning the 2014 First Place Module Group Award at the National Train Show in Cleveland, OH, the club added over 80 linear feet of layout in the fall. The overall layout now features 82 module sections and just over 320 linear feet of mainline run – that’s close to five scale miles.
Over in the Mallary Complex, the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway Museum once again brought a piece of real railroad equipment to the show. This time it was a Model T Railcar. This recently completed restoration project was started back in 2010 and was really a show stopper.
Despite the weather, the show was another success. The 2016 Railroad Hobby Show will be held on January 30 and 31, 2016.
- 2015 Best in Show Module – Ntrak Carnival Module
- 2015 Best in Show Layout - Central New York Modelers
- 2015 Best in Show Layout - Chester & Beckett - F Scale Layout
Grants - Amherst Railway Society Founder's Award
- NRHS Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley - Project 3713 - B&M Steam Restoration
2015 Show FactsDates: January 24-25, 2015
Hours: Sat. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sun. 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Admission: Adults: $14, Children: Free
Venue: Eastern States Exposition
Buildings: Better Living Center, Young Building, Stroh Building, Mallary Complex
Location: West Springfield, MA
2015 Railroad Hobby Show Media Coverage
- Jan. 24, 2015 - 2015 Railroad Hobby Show draws thousands to West Springfield [Newspaper] - MassLive- Check out the Article
- Feb. 2015 - February 2015 Edition of TrainMasters TV [Television] - TrainMastersTV- Check out the Video
- Jan. 29, 2015 - Amherst Railway Society Railroad Hobby Show 2015 [Blog] - Mile Post 15- Check out the Post
- Jan. 29, 2015 - Amherst Railway Society - Railroad Hobby Show Wrap Up [Blog] - Northern NJ Ntrak- Check out the Post
- Jan. 21, 2015 - Amherst Train Show Pulling Into Eastern States Expo [Newspaper] - Hartford Courant- Check out the Article
2015 Railroad Hobby Show Videos
- An Awesome 2015 Big E Train Show Weekend (1/24 to 25/2015) - Watch Now on Youtube
- [HD] Model Train Layouts at the Amherst Belt Big E Train Show: 1/24/15 - Watch Now on Youtube
- Amherst Railroad Show 2015 at the Big E - Watch Now on Youtube
- Big E train show 2015 Booths, Layouts and More! 1/24/15 - Watch Now on Youtube
- Amherst Railway Society Railroad Hobby Show 2015 Part 1 - Watch Now on Youtube
- Amherst Railway Society Railroad Hobby Show 2015 Part 2 - Watch Now on Youtube
- Amherst Railway Society Railroad Hobby Show 2015 Northeast Region T-TRAK layout - Watch Now on Youtube
- 2015 Amherst Railway Society Railroad Hobby Show - Watch Now on Youtube
- The Big E Train Show, Amherst Railway Society 2015! - Watch Now on Youtube
- Amherst Railway Society Show Valley HOTrak Set Up - Watch Now on Youtube
- Mohegan Pequot Layout at the Amhrest train show 2015 - Watch Now on Youtube
- Amhearst Train Show 2015 Layout Tour - Watch Now on Youtube
2015 Show Car
Amherst Refinery Services - ARSX 201524
2015 Show Car HighlightsRoadname: Amherst Refinery Services
Car Number: ARSX 201524
Car Type: Tank Car
Description: The 2015 edition show car was an Atlas 22,500 gallon tank car. The modern car features Amherst Refinery Services lettering and safety striping.
2015 Railroad Hobby Show Grants
- 2015 - Founders Award - NRHS Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley - Project 3713 - B&M Steam Restoration
- 2015 - Heritage Grants - Seashore Trolley Museum - Narcissus Restoration Project
- 2015 - Heritage Grants - Boston Street Railway Association - Subflooring 5706
- 2015 - Heritage Grants - Seashore Trolley Museum(NEERHS) - Interurban Restoration
- 2015 - Heritage Grants - Danbury Railway Museum - Burro Crane Restoration
- 2015 - Heritage Grants - Central Vermont Railway Historical Society - Archive CVR Records
- 2015 - Heritage Grants - WW&F Railway Museum - Pole Barn
- 2015 - Heritage Grants - Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad & Museum - Parlor Car – Ceiling
- 2015 - Heritage Grants - Friends of the Keystone Arches - Capstone Recovery
- 2015 - Heritage Grants - Shore Line Trolley Museum - Car 865 Repair
- 2015 - Heritage Grants - Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum - Trolley Wire
- 2015 - Heritage Grants - Old Colony & Newport Railway - Repair B&M Coach
- 2015 - Heritage Grants - Connecticut Trolley Museum - Carn Barn Repairs
- 2015 - Heritage Grants - Western Maryland Scenic Railroad - Boiler Tubes C&O 1309
- 2015 - Heritage Grants - Dennison Railroad Depot Museum - C&O 2700 Cosmetic Restoriation
2015 Show Flyer
2015 Show Map